Wednesday 24 March 2010

It Takes a Village

I may live in the boonies, but to say the Ahdin litter came about without a lot of help would be disingenuous.

Help takes many forms, and I'd like to take a post to thank some people and share a few of the resources that have been particularly useful.

THE VILLAGE (OF) PEOPLE
Thank you to: Sandra - for Py, for everything. Mary, Dora, & Chandra - for Rumor. Barb, Bobbie, Elaine, Karen, Laurel, Sherita, Susan - for support and advice. Sandra (again) and Susan for vouching for me (I know you did). Susan (and again) and Aenone for Skype-ing me when Cayenne whelped - that, I have to say, was the best "resource" ever. Mary (again) for always, always answering her phone, answering every question and providing guidance - without treating me like a dork. Most of all, Joan - for being, for... well, for everything.

And to Rumor: we both know you are doing all the hard work. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.


The following resources have, and continue to be, useful. Some were interesting, others are utterly invaluable. YMMV.

BOOKS
I love books. I love turning pages and making notes and the comfort they provide by being constantly accessible. These have kept me company these past months, and as they move from nightstand (and desk, and end table) to bookcase I will be glad to know they remain close at hand. (Images pilfed from Amazon and Dogwise; shop around for best pricing):



This is the one book everyone loved and insisted was a must-have. And I will agree, it's well organized, clear, helpful, practical, and easy to use.






These two books should
come as a set, and are worth every penny. The list of supplies to have on-hand is detailed, and I watched the DVD (showing how to tube feed, among other things) over and over.




Speaking of DVD's, this one is also great. Not too technical, detailed information on cesarian sections, singletons, neonate development... etc. From "the man" in canine reproduction.






A friend recommended
this book and loaned it to me. Widely considered a classic, covers picking stock to whelping and beyond.








Another favorite loaned by a friend, one that I liked so much I bought. Don't be fooled by the publication date, it's terrific.






Another older book with still-relevant information (no image available).

And a few books that have general information as well as breeding/whelping details:

A UK publication:







A classic, recently updated, and an absolute must-have.








MORE PEOPLE
I would be remiss not to thank the veterinarians, many of whom I count among my friends, for help, support, and service along the way. Noah, for the pre-breeding exam of Py when the hope for "tartlettes" started a couple of years ago. Diana, who did the palpation that confirmed pregnancy and cheered us along every step. Rebecca, for checking medications and ensuring I always have a well-stocked pharmacy on hand - and her cell phone number so I can check in before dispensing. Donald, for the x-ray and good wishes. Western Trails, for being on standby during whelping (thankfully they weren't needed).

SUPPLIES
Joan loaned me a whelping box and heater, they are GREAT. Next week we move everything from the study to the family room and attach the extension. I've made endless use of dog blankets (get the ones at Costco - same thing for 1/3 the price) and piddle pads, a large quantity of both are invaluable.

WEB SITES
Too many to list, but I have made daily use of information and forms and they have saved me countless hours of headache and confusion.

The lists go on and on - by you have the general idea.

So clearly, one does not need to live in a heavily populated area to have a "virtual village" of support. I couldn't have done it - calmly ;-) - without the help of many kind friends.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to all for a wildly successful group project. We [all] get by with a little help from our friends.

    ReplyDelete