Thursday 30 April 2009

Road Trip preparations

Long road trip? No problem!!

A while ago I waxed-on about the joys of BOT on my iPod... a recent discovery of old radio shows ensures I'll have fun-filled road trips the next two weekends. The Shadow, War of the Worlds, Dr. Who, Dracula, Huck Finn, Abbott & Costello... and a grab-bag of one-time programs - should be fun!

Last weekend I listened to a Bob Hope broadcast on Lux Radio Theater... I'm sorry to say Bob never appealed to me, just not my generation of humor I suppose. But after spending an hour with
his 1945 "I Never Left Home" show it's possible I'm a convert. The straight-men get most of the laughs, and usually at Bob's expense. No profanity, mostly politically correct (given the times, sexism and racism wouldn't have been a surprise), and sometimes truly clever. Parts of it are downright moving - unapologetic observations of hospital wards in WWII - without sentimentality. Must find more like this and keep revising my opinions.

The van has had a tune up and freshly rotated tires, the coursing box and first aid kit are loaded, I need a sleeping bag for me and food for the dogs, then we'll hit the road first thing in the morning.

Stay tuned for results!

No comments:

Post a Comment