Tuesday 28 April 2009

It's the little things

My great Aunt Lily used to say: nothing's ever lost just misplaced. She was a Texas Lady, not much messing about, plenty tough, and always polite. She smiled when she shared an insult, told stories about seeing JFK moments before his assassination, surviving the Great Depression, being an childless professional woman, a widow - she was a pioneer. She made the greatest baked macaroni with cheese I'll ever taste (the secret was aged extra-sharp cheddar).

Not too sure why I'm thinking of this morning, other than I found my sunglasses. My very favorite $7 sunglasses that I bought at a gas station three years ago. They turned up this weekend in a box I hadn't used in a while. I sure didn't want to go and buy new ones, so I'm glad they "re-placed" before I replaced them.

Then I found a hole in my work gloves. About four years ago I splurged and bought deer-skin work gloves; they've held up great and protected my hands from all manner of potential nasties working around various ranches, but it is time for a new pair. The only ones at the feed store that fit (XS) were goat skin... soft, supple, zero break-in required, and under $10 - wow. I hope they prove as durable as my last pair.

The feed store also had a metal bucket with lid, under $20. They make cleaning up the dog yards a breeze. The big-box stores in town don't carry them any more, and I was happy to shop locally.

Guess three good finds makes it a hat trick. Little things that do a lot to make a day's chores more pleasant are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment