Monday 8 December 2008

Sing it with me

Monday, Monday...

You know, as in the Mamas & the Papas... no? Hm, bet you're under 40 . Probably a LOT under. Not that that's a bad thing... anyway...

Mondays have turned into Delta Society day for Py and me. We spent a couple hours at a residential treatment facility this afternoon; today most of the kids wanted to read to "Mr. Py" as they call him. I think that's very sweet, since he towers over the littlest ones and they all clearly love to spend time with him. Some lie on the floor and stroke his fur, others hug/hang on him, others just sit quietly, some won't read until he lies down. Each interaction is differnet, and how Py knows what each individual kid needs is beyond my understanding, but I know it's real.

Anyway, today one of the kids I'll call Billy read a story about a mystery tower in Rhode Island. Who knew?? Very cool, have to put that on the "visit someday" list.

Right before we left a girl I'll call Billie came in, her third visit today, and asked if she could sing Py a song she was writing. Like a lot of kids at this facility, she's got what is euphamistically refered to as a "troubled past." I don't know, and I don't want to know. Sure, I said, this is your time, anything you want to do is fine. So she sings this song, moving closer to Py as she does so, winding up with her hand on his back, and he leans onto her. The lyrics? "You're my best friend..." Pass the tissues. Then she sang it again, and apologetically said it needed some work. No honey, it's great just the way it is.

On a good day I learn something new; today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment