Sunday 14 December 2008

Dog hair and dust

What, your night-stand and car have something else on them?

Yesterday was a very good day. I had fun, my dogs had fun, the weather was great, the drive was stunning, the company for dinner was spot-on.

In this state, hunting is perfectly legal. Yet a lot of people get up in arms (ironic pun, no?) over it, so I share details with those I know only. Gotta wonder how some people think all those groceries show up in the meat case... a topic for another day I suppose. And yes, I have a license.

The car was mostly loaded on Friday night - ruck sack with people snacks, dog blankets, binoculars, some first aid stuff, bottles of water, dog bowl, orange vest; more water, dog beds and blankets, assortment of collars and leashes; my wallet, sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, gloves, ear muffs, down vest, windbreaker, spare coat, cooler with chicken necks, thermos of coffee and mug... for a day-trip there's a stunning amount of STUFF involved. The one thing that I wanted but didn't have was some extra collars; they were ordered but hadn't arrived yet.

Saturday morning I arose at 4:30 a.m., pushed "start" on the coffee pot, fed Py and Day half-sized breakfasts of thawed chicken necks, got dressed, double-checked that I had enough water, my iPod, cell phone, sunglasses, and assorted dog gear, then pottied the hounds and hit the road. We had about an inch of snow overnight, the air was still and in the mid-20's and just glorious. The moon was setting to the west, the sun eventually rose in the east... Less than two hours later I pulled into our meeting place for breakfast, paid my entry fees, and ordered more coffee. Two hours after that, we were walking in the desert somewhere, looking for Mr. Jack.

More than seven hours and some many miles later (figure 3-ish MPH for 7+ hrs) we returned to our vehicles for a quick potluck. As the sun set we headed back to pavement, the hounds laid flat out and dreaming of the day's courses. After a quick dinner with my friend Elaine I headed home – the moon rising from the east.

Perfect symmetry to the day.

Today is snowing and blowing, a good day to be at home rather than walking fields. My shoulders were sore from the ruck sack and dogs pulling most of the day, but my feet were (and today still) feel great. Someday I'll have to replace my waterproof hiking boots from REI and it will cost a fortune, but I have never regretted the $200 (sale price!) I spent on these. Best damn things I ever put on my feet.

But my car is still needing to be cleared out... guess what's waiting for me in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment