Thursday 2 July 2009

The last straw

OK, fair warning: I'm on a bender. Either settle in or move on now...

There are lots of businesses that offer discounts to dogs "adopted" from shelters or all-breed rescue organizations, no doubt to encourage people with typically older dogs to get a veterinarian's exam or some training or whatever product is on offer. (I say "adopted" because money changes hands; it's a
purchase and let's be honest about that.) I'm a libertarian, a big fan of the free market; this is a capitalist society and there's no upside to being coy about cash. All of which is by way of saying: businesses can charge whatever the market will bear, and offer discounts as they please.

Here's my problem: Discounts available only to people that purchase dogs from a shelter or rescue organization is a reward for that purchase - and that reward drives demand, and demand drives supply. And the suppliers to shelters are not the ethical breeders of this world.
What set me off on this particular rant was the explicit message recently delivered to my face by a local rescue person, that - quote - rescued** dogs are better.

I was
rendered temporarily speechless; when I recovered my senses I asked: Can you define "better"? And, what's the data source you're referring to?

It was her turn to sputter. Something about fewer health problems (which is bunk - even Hutchinson has reported higher hypothyroidism rates in mutts). I pointed out that the dogs I've gotten from responsible breeders come from parents with health testing, and a lifetime of support and information is just a phone call away. She had no counter. As she walked away I overheard her mutter to her friend that I was "that woman" with all the big dogs. WTF???

"All"? What quantity is that? And I suppose that there's a presumption that some arbitrary quantity automatically results in compromised quality of life. One dog in the wrong hands can be abused and neglected. A hundred in the right hands can be healthy and pampered. Numbers and size aren't the issue, and never will be.

It's about judging others by our own narrow definition of "right." And I resent the hell out of it.

If you want a random-bred dog with no health or behavioral history and no lifetime of support, then by all means go ahead and buy one. While doing so, remember that you are providing the market for the irresponsible and/or greedy bastards that produce them - which makes you part of the problem and not the solution. You may feel good for "saving" a life, and it's probably true. But it's also true that it's a free market, and how you spend your money rewards the behavior of the people who get your money.

So what behavior are you trying to reward? Ethical? Responsible? Or something else.

What am I going to do about it? Simple; put my money where my mouth is:

Starting now, I offer a discount to new clients that purchased their dog from an ethical breeder. All I need to see is a copy of their breeder's contract, stating they require the return of the dog at any time if the buyer can't or won't keep it, and the client will get 20% off.
Does that mean I'll never again own a shelter dog? History predicts that I will... and I recognize the additional burden that comes with that choice.

**Clarification: I'm not referring to breed-specific rescue organizations, or parent-club affiliated breed rescue. This particular person is part of a local all-dog rescue that tends toward random & cross bred dogs.

1 comment: