Monday 8 June 2009

Seen only in Texas


I spent the weekend in west Texas; saw some things there that perhaps define the place.

One, they have multi-purpose restrooms at the rest stops. Efficient use of taxpayer dollars.


Number two was at my friend Susan's house; haven't been this close to one in years. This western diamondback rattlesnake was over 4' long, and in the dog-yard. The dogs
were going ballistic; I managed to snap this shot before Susan killed it. We have lots of snakes at our ranchero - garter, bull, the occasional rat snake - but (knock on wood) no rattlers. If it has venom, it dies. If it doesn't, we leave it alone.

I had gone over to Texas for a seminar, one I've attended before but never fail to learn new things. It was great. But as Dorothy said, there's no place like home.
After fighting the wind most of the way home, this view never ceases to calm my spirit.







post script: The "check engine" light on the car came on less than 120 miles after this road trip began.

No comments:

Post a Comment