Sunday 28 June 2009

On the road again

Not traveling; road work.

Today was day-two for Tigress to have a little roadwork. Yesterday I took Py out with her, this morning Gin got her crack at it. Gin is 20 months old, she took to roadwork like a trotter to the track.

Yesterday I was sorry I didn't have a camera with me, as there were some lovely little birds flitting from fencepost to fencepost and an assortment of summer flowers in bloom. Today I took the camera but it's much cooler (mid 50's) and overcast, so no birds.

But here are some flowers for your viewing pleasure:

When I was little, we called this a "zuni squash". It's correct name will be added later (I can not find it in my book to save my life) but the amazing thing about them is that the edible part is the flowers.
Gorgeous jewelry pieces are named in honor of this flower.


These enormous plants spread 20' or more along the ground; I've seen them climbing fences and choking cholla plants.

Here's the fruit part:

Note how it forms between the base of the flower and the stem, allowing the removal (and consumption) of the flower without damaging the gourd. MMMMMMMMM, delicious.

Speaking of cholla... they are now blooming at our elevation. Anywhere up to 7' or taller, sometimes an entire field of these - acres and acres - bloom simultaneously. Spectacular.



And here are some other little flowers: sadly I don't know what any of them are, but they do dress up the ditches on the side of the road:


And finally, even though it is off-topic, last night's sunset was so spectacular I must share:


This view is why I will never live anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment