Friday 6 March 2009

Atta boy

Sometimes, surprises are good.

We're approaching another graduation ceremony for the kids at the juvenile offender facility - had to believe that time of year is approaching so quickly! This is the second year we've incorporated CGC testing as part of the preparation for graduation; certificates are presented at the ceremony. There are a lot of reasons we do this, and a key one is that this CGC certificate is awarded to the handler.
Kudos to the AKC for sponsoring a CGC format specifically for prisoners.

For our incarcerated kids, the certificate is placed into their record for discussion at a parole hearing, and goes with them after their release. (We also provide contact information so they can get a reference for work or school, if they would like.)

Each student-trainer picks a dog to do the test with.
A couple of weeks ago when I explained what was on the CGC test - the do's and don'ts, and that they have to pass all 10 items to earn a certificate - I encouraged them to think about it for a couple of days and then let me know which dog they'd like to attempt the test with.

This process is a continual fascination to me; it's inevitable that some aspect of the trainer's character is revealed. One or two kids will choose the "easiest" dog, one that has been through the training program several times, a near-guarantee to pass. Others will stick with their usual canine partner, either out of comfort or loyalty or something else. This time, one kid picked the hardest dog. I tried to discourage him, but he did it anyway.

AJ is a difficult dog, one with many phobias and fears - noise and novelty chief among them. Rearrange the furniture, and AJ will have a problem with it. Enter through a different gate, work outside on a very windy day, turn on an appliance... AJ will be paralyzed with fear. So afraid he can't take food. From the first moment I laid eyes on AJ I predicted that he will be released from the program, and while AJ has made tremendous progress I stand by that assessment.

Billy picked AJ. Insisted on testing with AJ.
Billy is a nice kid, soft spoken, sometimes moody but one that shuts down rather than act out. He's what's called a one-off: never in trouble before, did something really bad and got caught, not likely to be a repeat offender. And yesterday, with a tremendous amount of patience, encouragement, compassion, quiet insistence, and creativity, Billy & AJ completed all ten items on the CGC evaluation. I was so proud of Billy, I could have burst.

One little problem: the Evaluator's handbook states "food and treats are not permitted during testing" and Billy had used treats. Not that AJ took many, but still. I care about being a CGC Evaluator, I think it's a great program and deserves more gravitas than it often gets. But I also care about the rules, especially when they make sense. This time, I felt - very strongly - that what Billy had done was within the spirit of CGC, if not the letter of the rules. He took care of his dog, without regard to the effect that might have on his evaluation. So I called the AKC and explained the situation. The AKC is not know for its... well let's call it "flexibility", so I was prepared to be denied. Much to my delight, they agreed with me, and will allow me to present Billy with a certificate at graduation. I'm very, very pleased with this decision.

I have a lot of complaints about the AKC - every exhibitor does - but this time, my hat is off to a kid that did a great thing and an organization that did right by him.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Leo!!!!
    Thank you for giving yourself to this cause and caring. I imagine that if someone had cared enough in these youths earlier years some would not be in this situation.

    ReplyDelete