Thursday 11 September 2008

Independence Day (sorta)

I may not be a soccer mom, but for the last few years most of my life has revolved around the carpool schedule. Until today. Sorta.

My son, Anthony, spent most of the summer in Beijing. He managed to get to and from school and successfully executed multiple practica without getting overly lost or arrested. And every day he carried his US passport and school ID; he was stopped a few times by assorted security officials (mixed-race Americans are uncommon, those on their own rare, and those that speak fairly fluent Mandarin downright exceptional) and he always had documents and answers. No big deal (at least not in China).

For the past four years, every day I drive at least one end of the carpool; we are LONG ways from his school and even before gas prices went through the roof it made no sense for me to drive into town twice a day. Until this year, when our car-pool buddy has graduated (Miela: I still miss your iPod selections) and has gone off to University, and I am driving the 120 miles a day. So my chores and clients are scheduled around Anthony's school schedule. Until today.

This afternoon I'm leaving for the Grand National in Colorado, a six hour drive, so can't wait until Debate practice is over at 5:30 to bring him home (6:30) and then leave (by 7), so Anthony drove himself to school this morning. He called upon arrival to let me know he was there, safe and sound. All is well... until I go into his room to collect the pile of dirty dishes (he *is* 16) and - uh oh - there's his wallet. I rifle through it (of COURSE I did) and yep, there's his license. So now I have to choose between going through town on my way to Colorado, which will add two hours to an already 6-hour drive, and letting it slide. I really should have micro-managed him this morning (got your cell phone? glasses? all your homework? wallet? keys? good job kiddo) but NO. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

After all, he managed just fine half-way around the world. But he can't get the 30 miles to school with all his stuff... Well, choices have consequences. Some choices have good consequences, some have bad ones. If he gets pulled over on the way home, he's going to find out just how bad it gets. The good news is, I bet he never leaves home without his wallet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment