Thursday 25 February 2010

Training Predators

A betrayal of the worst kind.

A horrible tragedy, made worse because children witnessed it. Tilikum reportedly grabbed the pony tail of his trainer, Dawn Brancheau, pulled her under water, and Brancheau was drowned.

Is it possible that the tickling of the trainer's hair on the orca's nose triggered a feeding reflex? Or the latest murder of one sentient being of another?

Training predators is not like training omnivores or prey animals. Part of my practice frequently involves evaluating behavior to determine its intent and its cause - and getting it wrong sometimes goes very badly. There are few companies that insure dog trainers, and fewer still that offer riders for dangerous dogs - known biters. It never ceases to disappoint me how many people will state "no bite history" during the intake interview, then later reveal "oh, he nips all the time" when I observe some behavioral clue inconsistent with the history.

I get bitten every couple of years by a client's dog; it's part of the risk package I accept in doing this work. I've once been dragged off my feet with a bulldog clamped to the ankle of my pants, been bitten several times on the leg, a couple of times on the arm (thank heavens I always overdress: heavy jeans and long-sleeved shirts), and once in the face (I looked like I'd come out on the wrong end of a bar fight). And I've had one, a golden with *too* much toy drive, grab my ponytail. Twice. (The second time I reflexively smacked him - he never did it again.) In virtually every case, the dog's bite history was incompletely revealed to me by the owner. I'm a LOT more careful about the language in my waiver (all dog bites I witness will be reported to the State), and I give the owners' reports little weight. I count on my own skepticism and observations to keep me safe.

Dogs bite. They have teeth. Even a stable dog will bite if sufficiently provoked - the rules of self preservation apply. Because there are so many undiagnosed unstable dogs out there, it's best to be really really careful. They over-react to benign provocation, and the results can be disastrous. I love working with dogs, but let's not pretend they are robots. A good dog is a treasure, a bad one is a danger. Sometimes knowing the difference is obvious; sometimes it takes skill.

And sometimes we just get it wrong.


I know nothing about training marine mammals. I do know they use R+ methods, as I do. So the loss of a fellow traveler in the world of training predators is keenly felt. By all reports,
Brancheau died doing what she loved. Cold comfort. My heart breaks for her family and colleagues.

5 comments:

  1. I've been wondering if he mistook the pony tail as a fish. . .training wild animals is dangerous, but it pisses me off to hear people hammering for the poor whale's head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad. If you ever saw film of Orcas leaping up onto the ice with only their tails still in the water to grab seals--and then going back in the water and tossing them around until they tired of the sport, you would think twice about getting within a body's length of one. Particularly one that had already participated in killing 2 people. The trainer who had to know all of that and more.

    We watched a trainer in an enclosure with lure-coursing cheetahs in South GA--Cheetahs really like people, and purr at the fence to greet you, yet, she had eyes in the back of her head for the male who would come up behind her and swat! But she always wheeled around and warned him off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the commentary at the link below interesting for the kinds of questions it raised.

    http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/2010/02/26/free-willy/

    Particularly, in regard to the question you asked here: "Or the latest murder of one sentient being of another?"

    The writer asks, "But for dolphins and orcas that have been in training with humans for years, if not decades, are they really still “just” dolphins and orcas? Or something else?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting link, Bystander, thanks for sharing it. The question of "motive" or "intent" is an interesting one, but I am troubled by the assertion (made by others, not the link you provided per se) that this incident couldn't have been an accident because orcas are "too intelligent" to make such mistakes. If that were true, humans would never have accidents as (presumably) were are the most intelligent creatures. Clearly, intelligence and mistakes aren't mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A radio talkshow host I listen to keeps repeating that maybe the whale was "spooked" by the trainer's ponytail. Spooked? I wonder where that idea got started? Not anyplace where people are familiar with predator behavior.

    I can buy "mistook the ponytail for a fish. Or "mistook the trainer for a toy". Or a seal. Oh wait--there's NO DIFFERENCE between a seal and an edible toy. Not to an Orca.

    ReplyDelete