Friday 4 September 2009

Tea for Two

No empty nest here, we're at capacity with beasts and dust bunnies.

But I do notice a significant shift in grocery shopping, dirty dishes, and laundry. Now that Anthony is off to university, it's back to "just us" two humans. Rick is home for dinner only during the week, and washes his own work clothes (because I fold his shirts wrong, who knew that was a good thing 20 years ago?). Without Anthony's school and gym clothes, I am hard pressed to make a full load of whites. And here in the desert, we do not run a washer that isn't stuffed to the max.

Shopping and cooking for two requires some adjustment on my part. Without Anthony's bottomless pit of an appetite, I buy the small bunch of bananas, very few apples, no grapes, fewer bagels... no more two-plus pound packages of every kind of fish each week.

Why this wasn't particularly noticeable last summer (he was in China for most of 2 months) I couldn't say; best guess - now it's permanent. I'm guessing shopping when he's here at Christmas is going to be a shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment