Tuesday 19 August 2008

Fallen Idols

I suppose it's part of the natural order, but I'm still finding it a bit of a shocker: two instructors I've learned so much from, aren't living up to expectations.

This isn't an uncommon experience - finding a single individual who is both a great instructor (of people) and a great trainer (of dogs) is hard. Finding one that is also a great handler is even more rare. My son's first agility instructor, Donna D'Amico, spoiled us for life - she is all three: superior instructor, trainer, and handler. Little did I appreciate what a tough act to follow she would be.

Upon our move back to New Mexico, we first trained with a world-famous agility handler. Unfortunately, she can't teach her way out of a paper bag, so that was short-lived. I've since observed she's a pretty one-dimensional trainer, so I'm glad we moved on. Even worse, this is pretty common with a lot of agility instructors; many are good at either training or handling, few are good at instructing.

Recently I have had two particularly disappointing experiences. Instructors I deeply respect - for going on eight years - have turned out to either mediocre trainers or very limited as handlers. One has been my mentor for many years now, and I'm finding her shortcomings particularly difficult to accept.

As instructors, we all long for the student that surpasses us - but I'm finding that an uncomfortable place to be. I don't know why, but it is. Great instructors are so terribly rare, I guess I hoped (without realizing it) that these two, at least, would always be more knowledgeable, more skilled, than I am.

What that means, I suppose, is that I now have the opportunity to go looking for a new mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment