Tuesday 15 July 2008

bugs and plague

So, here's a phone call I don't want to make ever again - to every student in my class. Hi, just wanted to let you know that one of the dogs in your class has been diagnosed with Tularemia. Type B, no big deal - except that it's zoonotic, did you handle that dog today? No? Excellent. If you observe the following symptoms, please take your dog to the vet at once...

Tularemia - also called "rabbit fever" - is endemic in this area. Few dogs exhibit symptoms, and it's actually not particularly contagious, but still... I had planned a siesta today; it was not to be. Thankfully the species of fleas and ticks that favor dogs are not common to this area.

Unlike Parvo. No other disease strikes fear into the heart of a breeder or puppy owner like this one. I know of a spectacular litter that was hit yesterday. So far, one dead, no word on the others. Everyone has a horror story; even survivors are often disabled in some way.

And then there's cancer. A friend of mine died in the wee hours this morning from it, after a nearly 10-year long battle. I can't count the number of dogs I know of that have been affected. In my family there's virtually no incidence of it - said at the risk of tempting fate. The capricious and cruel disease usually kills slowly and painfully; I can't imagine. Sleep softly, Diana. You are missed.

And we've had so much rain (yeah!) that the mud wasps have "bloomed" and are trying to invade the living room (boo hiss). Try chasing those buggers out without letting the cat escape, what fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment